compass provides a transaction manager for lucene indexes so you can incorporate an index update and database update in a single transaction or roll-back if either fails. thats why it would be interesting to see the two working together.

Marios Skounakis wrote:
Hi all,

>I am working on a hibernate-solr bridge that will behave like the
>compass Hibernate3GpsDevice.  It gets a callback from hibernate when
>an object is stored, checks if it is 'SolrDocumentable' and sends it
>to solr using the client library from:
>  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-20  (solr-client.zip)
>
>If your interested, i can send you my initial version...  when i'm
>further along, i'll try to post it to solr/client/java

That would be great - we're also facing the same issue of rolling our
own code to keep a Solr index in sync with a MySQL DB that we access
via Hibernate.

I wonder whether people who try to keep a Solr (or Lucene) index in
sync with a database are at all worried about index update failures.

Propagating the update from the DB to the index is one thing, and
relatively easy to implement. But how do you handle failures to update
either the index or the DB since you cannot enforce transactional
semantics over both updates? Or do index update failures occur so
infrequently that you do not worry about it?

Marios