: I wonder of jetty or tomcat can be configured to put logging output
: for different webapps in different log files...

i've never tried it, but the tomcat docs do talk about
tomcat providing a custom implimentation of java.util.logging specificly
for this purpose.

Ben: please take a look at this doc...

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

..specifically the section on java.util.logging (since that's what Solr
uses) ... I believe you'll want something like the "Example
logging.properties file to be placed in common/classes" so that you can
control the logging.

Please let us all know if this works for you ... it would make a great
addition to the SolrTomcat wiki page.