You could build your index using Lucene directly and then point a Solr instance at it once its built. My suspicion is that the overhead of forming a document as an XML string and posting to Solr via HTTP won't be that much different than indexing with Lucene directly.

My largest Solr index is currently at 1.4M and it takes a max of 3ms to add a document (according to Solr's console), most of them 1ms. My single threaded indexer is indexing around 1000 documents per minute, but I think I can get this number even faster by parallelizing the indexer.

I'm curious what rates others are indexing at ???

        Erik