: when we do a search on a nonexisting field, we get a  SolrException:
: undefined field
: (this was for query "nonfield:test")
:
: but when we use wildcards in our query, we dont get the undefined field
: exception,
: so the query "nonfield:*test" works fine ... just zero results...
:
: is this normal behaviour ?

the error about undefined fields comes up because the Lucene QueryParser
is attempting to analyze the field, and the Solr IndexSchema
complains if it can't find the field it's asked to provide an analyzer
for.

for wildcard (and fuzzy and prefix) queries, the input is not analyzed
(the Lucene FAQ explains this a bit) so the Solr IndexSchema is never
consulted about the field.

It is certianly an odd bit of behavior, and we should try to be
consistent.  I think it it would be fairly straight forward to make the
SolrQueryParser *always* test that the field is "viable" according the
IndexSchema ... would you mind opening a bug in Jira for this?

-Hoss