I think I've resolved this.

I've edited that solr.py file to optimize=True on commit and moved the
commit outside of the loop

http://pastie.textmate.org/71392

The data is going in, it's optmizing once but it's showing as commit = 0 in
the stats page of my solr.

There's no errors that I can see, and the data is definately in the index as
I can now search for it.