> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position > 369: ordinal not in range(128)

What character is at position 369?  make sure it is valid unicode...

Is there a simple way to tell solr to accept UTF8 characters?

Solr can accept UTF8 characters... check the utf8-example.xml example in exampledocs.

If you can put the character at position 369 into "utf8-example.xml" and post it successfully (using post.sh or post.jar) then I suspect however you are posting the xml is not encoding the stream properly.