Hi Hoss.

Yes, it's the tricky part when re-structuring configs...

One possible solution is, when you create a new schema, you offer a
conversion tool... Other is to define a "version" on the config and
depending on the version, the expected structure will be different.

I'm sure you know this all, but in terms of benefits, I think it may be a
bit more straightforward as the terms will match the class purposes.

But of course, if I'm the only one that think this way, it's far away from
turning into a priority, so just ignore...

Regards,
Daniel

On 25/6/07 21:43, "Chris Hostetter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : <filter factory="solr.ReflectionFilterFactory" class="...CJKTokenFilter" />
> :
> : I think this way, the config terms are a bit clearer... What do you think?
>
> in general, do i think it would be better if the <filter> and <tokenizer>
> declarations used "factory" as the attribute instead of "class"? ...yes.
>
> So i think it makes sense to change this now? ... i don't know.
>
> the backward compatibiily issues are tricky ... not from an implementation
> standpoint, but from a clarify standpoint.
>
> we could always make hte schema.xml parsing code say that <filter> and
> <tokenizer> declarations will first be checked for a "factory' attribute,
> and if it's found use that class, if it's not found then revert to the
> "legacy" behavior of looking for a "class" attribute ... but that means
> that as people with existing schemas start to take advantage of newer
> factories like the ReflectionFactory, and maybe cut/paste examples
> from other configs, they'll start to have a hodgepodge of syntax...
>
>   <filter class="solr.LowerCaseFilterFactory" />
>   <filter factory="solr.SomeOtherFilterFactory" blahblah="true"
>           yadayadaydad="false" numOption="42" />
>   <filter class="solr.YetAnotherFilterFactory" />
>   <filter factory="solr.ReflectionFilterFactory
>           class="org.apache.lucene.contrib.FooFilter" />
>   <filter class="solr.OneMoreFilterFactory" />
>
> ...i don't know that the "clarity" a "factory" attribute would add for new
> users would balance out the confusion this might cause to existing users.
>

> -Hoss

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on
it and notify the sender immediately.