PATH - bingo!
The config + the log message are a bit misleading there, IMHO.

The "dir" is documented as:
  dir - dir to use as the current working directory. default="."

And its default value is defined as:
  <str name="dir">solr/bin</str>

The error was:
   Cannot run program "snapshooter" (in directory "/foo/jetty-6.1.3/solr/bin"):
java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory

All of this makes you (me) think that Solr uses the dir + exe name to call
snapshooter with the full path, a la "/foo/jetty-6.1.3/solr/bin/snapshooter",
which must not be the case.

Moreover, it looks like even though I set Solr home to be outside Jetty
directory, one has to put the dir that is the Solr home dir under Jetty, or at
least link <jetty>/solr/bin to <solr home>/bin, OR change that "dir" to be
../solr/bin (but this didn't work without adding /full/path/to/solr/bin to
PATH).

Otis