: the troubles comes when you integrate third-party stuff depending on
: log4j (as I currently do). Having said this you have a strong point when
: looking at http://www.qos.ch/logging/classloader.jsp

there have been several discussions baout changing the logger used by Solr
... the best summation i can give to these discussions is:

  * JDK logging is universal
  * using any other logging framework would add a dependency without
    adding functionality

The one issue I ran into was with daily rolling log files - maybe I missed it, but I didn't find that functionality in the JDK logging package, however it is in log4j.

I'm not advocating a change, just noting this. We worked around it by leveraging Resin's support for wrapping a logger (set up for daily rolling log files) around a webapp.

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler
Krugle, Inc.