I inherited an existing (working) solr indexing script that runs like
this:

Python script queries the mysql DB then calls bash script

Bash script performs a curl POST submit to solr

We're injecting about 1000 records / minute (constantly), frequently
pushing the edge of our CPU / RAM limitations.

I'm in the process of building a Perl script to use DBI and
lwp::simple::post that will perform this all from a single script
(instead of 3).

Two specific questions

1: Does anyone have a clever (or better) way to perform this process
efficiently?

2: Is there a way to inject into solr without using POST / curl / http?

Admittedly, I'm no solr expert - I'm starting from someone else's setup,
trying to reverse-engineer my way out.  Any input would be greatly
appreciated.