Well, I figured out my problem.  User error of course ;-)

I was processing documents in two separate steps.  The first step added the
id and the doctext fields.  The second step did an update to add the
metadata.  I didn't realize that an update command replaced the whole
document rather than just the pieces you specify.  I altered the process so
that everything was added in one step and now things are working much
better.

The other change I made (which may or may not have contributed to the
solution) was to remove all line breaks from the text being submitted to the
doctext field.  The line breaks were causing solr to interpret the text as
having multiple values and forced me to put a multivalued="true" attribute
in the schema.xml.  Removing the line breaks allowed me to remove this
attribute.

*Breathes giant sigh of relief*