On Sep 10, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Mike Klaas wrote:

On 10-Sep-07, at 1:50 PM, Adrian Sutton wrote:

We use DirectSolrConnection via JNI in a couple of client apps that sometimes have 100s of thousands of new docs as fast as Solr will have them. It would crash relentlessly if I didn't force all calls to update or query to be on the same thread using objc's @synchronized and a message queue. I never narrowed down if this was a solr issue or a JNI one.

That doesn't sound promising. I'll throw in synchronization around the update code and see what happens. That's doesn't seem good for performance though. Can Solr as a web app handle multiple updates at once or does it synchronize to avoid it?

Solr can handle multiple simultaneous updates. The entire request processing is concurrent, as is the document analysis. Only the final write is synchronized (this includes lucene segment merging).

Yes, i do want to disclaim that it's very likely my thread problems are an implementation detail w/ JNI, nothing to do w/ DSC.

-b