On 11/09/2007, at 9:48 AM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
try: ulimit -n

ulimit on its own is something else.  On my machine I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ulimit
unlimited
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
364770
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ulimit -n
1024

I have to run:
ulimit -n 20000

to get lucene to run w/ a large index...

Bingo, I'm an idiot - or rather, I now know *why* I'm an idiot. :) I'll give it a go.

Also, this is likely to be the cause of my write.lock problems - the Too many files exception just occured and the write.lock file gets left around (should have seen that one coming too).

Thanks for your help, I'm anticipating that this will solve our problems.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton
http://www.symphonious.net