If you are using tomcat, try adding "URIEncoding="UTF-8" to your tomcat
connector.

               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

use the analysis page of the admin interface to check to see what's
happening to your queries, too.

http://localhost:8080/solr/admin/analysis.jsp?highlight=on  (your port # may
vary)

Tom