I'd think that any platform that can run Java would be fine to run SOLR on. Maybe this is more a question of preferred platforms for Java deployments? That is quite the load for SOLR though, you may find that you want more than one server.

Do you mean that you're expecting about 1000 QPS over an index with up to 20 million documents?

--Matthew