From: Mike Klaas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 2:19 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr Highlighting, word index

On 5-Dec-07, at 1:02 PM, Owens, Martin wrote:

> Thanks Mike, So in essence I need to write a new RequestHandler plugin

> which takes the query string, tokenises it then perform a some kind of

> action against the index to return results which I should then be able

> to get the termVectors from?

Search results in a request handler consist of a sorted list of integer
lucene doc ids.  You'll have to query the lucene api for the term
vectors corresponding to those doc ids.

> Would not the termVectors already be available from the normal search
> and we'd just be asking for the term vectors from that?

No, term vectors are stored separately from the inverted index and are
not used in search.

> Any advice for a perl/python programmer who is trying to baddly hack
> this in Java?

Unforunately, not really.  It's probably worth stepping back to learn
the basics of the lucene/solr apis before trying to accomplish your
specific goal.

-Mike