After a long weekend I could do a deeper look into this one and it looks as if the problem has to do with splitting.

This one works for me fine.

$ cat t2.csv
id,name
12345,"'s-Gravenhage"
12345,'s-Gravenhage
12345,"""s-Gravenhage"

$ curl http://localhost:8983/solr/update/csv?commit=true --data-binary
@t2.csv -H 'Content-type:text/csv; charset=utf-8'

My csv-file:
DBRECORDID,PUBLPLACE
43298,"'s-Gravenhage"

The URL (giving a 400 error):
http://localhost:8983/solr/update/csv?f.PUBLPLACE.split=true&commit=true";
(PUBLPLACE is defined as multivalued field)

If I remove the "f.PUBLPLACE.split=true" parameter OR make sure that the apostrophe is not the first character, everything is fine. But I need the field to be multivalued and thus need the split parameter (not for this record but for others) and as the example shows, some have an apostrophe as the first character. Any ideas how to deal with this?

-Michael