Hi, I d like to do a stress testing of my solr application to see how many
concurrent requests it can handle and how long it takes. But I m not sure if
I have done it in proper way (likely not)... responses seem to be very slow

My configuration:
1 Solr instance, using the default settings distributed in the example code
1.1 million documents indexed
duo core 1.8 GB machine with ram 2GB

My testing approach:
I created 100 Threads, each of which producings exactly same one query to
Solr, and the query should return 7 results. The wait interval bewteen each
thread is 1 second. In other words, every 1 second there is a thread created
issuing same query to solr server.
The time taken to serve 1 request is 2 seconds.

I was expecting that response to first thread take 2 seconds, then much
shorter for the rest, however, it seems results are very random. The last
thread took even 10 seconds to complete.

In another test I created the 100 threads instantaneously and each issuing
the same query instantaneously, and for a while Solr went silent, until
about 15-20 seconds it started to send responses...

I suspect if this is the proper way to do the stress testing? if not may I
have some pointers please? If the test design makes sense, clearly there
must be something I can do to improve performance, may I have some pointers
too please?

Many thanks!