: It is not a bug/problem of SOLR. SOLR can't be exposed directly to end
: users. For handling user input and generating SOLR-specific query, use

while i agree that you don't wnat to expose your end users directly to
Solr (largely for security reasons) that doesn't mean you *must*
preprocess user entered strings before handing them to dismax ... dismax's
whole goal is to make it posisble for apps to not have to worry about
sanitizing user inputed query strings.

: something... So that I don't really understand why do we need HTTP caching
: support at SOLR if we can't use it without "front-end" (off-topic; I use

yeah ... this is *WAY* off topic ... but the sort answer is: the issues
are orthoginal.  wether or not you let "humans using web browsers" talk to
Solr directly or not doesn't change the fact that Solr should be "well
behaved" regarding HTTP -- which includes output response headers useful
for HTTP caching, and understanding incoming request headers related to
HTTP caching ... just because you expect a some application to sit between
your end user browsers and Solr doesn't exclude teh possibility of having
an HTTP cache sitting between that application and Solr.

-Hoss