You probably do not need to force merge (mistakenly called "optimize") your

Solr does automatic merges, which work just fine.

There are only a few situations where a forced merge is even a good idea. The
most common one is a replicated (non-cloud) setup with a full reindex every
night.

If you need Solr Cloud, I cannot think of a situation where you would want a
forced merge.

wunder