I think you is confused with the extension for files created for lucene
index. Those files does not play crucial role in search.
I will suggest you to first setup the solr, index some files, then you
should apply various features like faceting, etc.
Then you also understand the significance of schema.xml and
solrconfig.xml,these files has some great comment that might help.

Then you can look into solr default similarity algorithm.