When used on bare terms, ~ is indeed "fuzzy matching" rather than
proximity, it's an overloaded operator in that sense.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that your analysis chain for the field is
doing "interesting" things for "taveranx" and the resulting token is
far enough "away" (in the Levenshtein sense) that it's not found.

The admin/analysis page is very much your friend here, it'll show you
what the term taveranx becomes in your index.

You might try varying the "closeness" of the term by adding
taveranx~0.2 (or whatever) to your query to see if it's eventually
found.

And as a test see if specifying fuzzy operations works on other terms,
in which case my hypothesis will get a little support....

Best,
Erick