Ok, I just booted fresh solr 4.10.2, started example-schemaless and
hit http://localhost:8983/solr/collection1/schema/fields - and it
worked.

So, I suspect the problem is not with Solr but with your setup around
it. For example, is your Solr listening on port 9943 directly (and not
8983) or do you have a proxy in between. Maybe the proxy is not
configured to forward that URL.

Do you have logs? Can you see if that URL is actually being called on
Solr's side? If you see other urls (like generic admin stuff), but not
this one, then it may not be making it there.

Regards,
   Alex.
Personal: http://www.outerthoughts.com/ and @arafalov
Solr resources and newsletter: http://www.solr-start.com/ and @solrstart