Most probably just a request that's too large. Have you tried dropping
down to 500 items and seeing what happens?

Are you using SolrJ to send content to Solr? Or a direct HTTP request?

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. You may also find it useful to read up on the Solr commit and
hard vs. soft commits. Check solrconfig.xml in the example
distribution.
Personal: http://www.outerthoughts.com/ and @arafalov
Solr resources and newsletter: http://www.solr-start.com/ and @solrstart
Solr popularizers community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=6713853