Manohar Sripada [manohar...@gmail.com] wrote:
> I have 100 million documents in my index. The maxDoc here is the maximum
> Documents in each shard, right? How is it determined that each entry will
> occupy maxDoc/8 approximately.

Assuming that it is random whether a document is part of the result set or not,
the most efficient representation is 1 bit/doc (this is often called a bitmap
or bitset). So the total number of bits will be maxDoc, which is the same as
maxDoc/8 bytes.

Of course, result sets are rarely random, so it is possible to have other and
more compact representations. I do not know how that plays out in Lucene.
Hopefully somebody else can help here.

> If I have to add facet.method=enum every time in the query, how should I
> specify for each field separately?

f.state.facet.method=enum

See https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters#Parameters

- Toke Eskildsen