Your description uses the terms Solr/Lucene uses but perhaps not in
the same way we do. That might explain the confusion.

It sounds - on a high level - that you want to create a field based on
a combination of a couple of other fields during indexing stage. Have
you tried UpdateRequestProcessors? They have access to the full
document when it is sent and can do whatever they want with it.

Regards,
   Alex.
----
Sign up for my Solr resources newsletter at http://www.solr-start.com/