Latest information that I've found for this is that the error only occurs
for shard2.

If I do a search for just shard1, those records that are assigned to shard1
will be able to be displayed. Only when I search for shard2 will the
NullPointerException error occurs. Previously I was doing a search for both
shards.

Is there any settings that I required to do for shard2 in order to solve
this issue? Currently I have not made any changes to the shards since I
created it using
http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=nps1&numShards=2&collection.configName=collection1

Regards,
Edwin