There's quite a discussion here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-7137

But, I personally am not a huge fan of pushing all the work on to Solr, in a
production environment the Solr server is responsible for indexing, parsing the
docs through Tika, perhaps searching etc. This doesn't scale all that well.

So an alternative is to use SolrJ with Tika, which is totally independent of
what version of Tika is on the Solr server. Here's an example.

http://lucidworks.com/blog/indexing-with-solrj/

Best,
Erick