Check that your config has a valid path to the velocity contrib. You
should see something like

<lib dir="${solr.install.dir:../../..}/contrib/velocity/lib" regex=".*\.jar" />

(from Solr 4.10). and you should also see the indicated file on each
of your Solr nodes.

What's the full stack BTW? I'm expecting something like a class not
found error somewhere
down in the stack.

Best,
Erick