On Mon, May 18, 2015, at 01:42 PM, Steven White wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> With regards to Solr 5.0+, can someone point me where I can find out more
> on:
>
> 1) Why WAR support is deprecated and is being dropped from Solr? and
> 2) How do I deploy Solr 5.1 in a servlet other than Jetty, such as
> WebSphere?

Others may know where definitive information is on the topic.

Basically, the intention is that Solr is an application, not a servlet
app. It is provided with its own container, and you start it as you
would any other application, mysql/mongodb/etc.

The benefits are that it gives developers the ability to think outside
of the constraints of the servlet spec, and it makes testing much more
efficient and effective - all tests use the embedded Jetty (or whatever
is used in the future).

You certainly *can* install Solr in WebSphere/etc, but increasingly this
will cause you problems, and you might start to find features that won't
be supported at some point in that context.

HTH

Upayavira