The uf parameter is used to specify which fields a user "may" query against
- the "qf" parameter specifies the set of fields that an unfielded query
term "must" be queried against. The user is free to specify fielded query
terms, like "field1:term1 OR field2:term2". So, which use case are you
really talking about.

Could you try to point to a real-world example of where your use case might
apply, so we can relate to it?

Generally, I would say that a Solr document/collection should have no more
than "low hundreds" of fields. It's not that you absolutely can't have more
or absolutely can't have 5,000 or more, but simply that you will be asking
for trouble, for example, with the cost of comprehending and maintaining
and communicating your solution with others, including this mailing list
for support.

What specifically pushed you to have documents with 1500 field?

Also, is this 1500 fields that are always populated, or are there really a
larger number of different record types, each with a relatively small
number of fields populated in a particular document?

-- Jack Krupansky