Yeah a copyField into one could be a good space/time tradeoff. It can be
more manageable to use an all field for both relevancy and performance, if
you can handle the duplication of data.

You could set tie=1.0, which effectively sums all the matches instead of
picking the best match. You'll still have cases where one field's score
might just happen to be far off of another, and thus dominating the
summation. But something easy to try if you want to keep playing with
dismax.

-Doug

Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull> from Manning
Publications