On 5/26/2015 8:10 AM, Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo wrote:
> We want the user to see how relevant the result is with respect to the
> search query entered, and not how "good" the results are.
> But I suspect a problem is that the 1st record will always be 100%,
> regardless of what is the score, as the 1st record score will always be
> equals to the maxScore.

If you want to give your users *something* then simply display the score
that you get from Solr.  I recommend that you DON'T give them maxScore,
because they will be tempted to make the percentage calculation
themselves to try and find meaning where there is none.  A clever user
will be able to figure out maxScore for themselves simply by sorting on
relevance and looking at the score on the top doc.

When you get questions about what the number means, and you *WILL* get
those questions, you can tell them that the number itself is meaningless
and what matters is how the scores within a single result compare to
each other -- exactly what you have been told here.

Thanks,
Shawn