They reason for such a large number of fields:
- users create dynamically 'classes' of documents, say one user creates 10
classes on average
- for each 'class', the fields are created like this: "unique_id_"+fieldname
- there are potentially hundreds of thousands of users.

There is faceting in each users' fields.

So this will result in >1M fields, very sparsely populated. I warned them
this did not sound like a good design to me, but apparently someone very
knowledgeable in solr said this will work out fine. That is why I wanted to
double check...