It is the number of recommendations for a single user that matter. The
more there are, the worse the performance. Try it and see is the best
way though.

I personally would have one doc per recommendation. It will reduce the
amount of churn in your index as updating a multivalued field will
involve deleting the entire document that preceded it, which will then
need merging, etc. One doc per recommendation effectively makes your
index write-only, which is much cleaner.

Regarding sharding, you can shard your original index, but a replica of
your user recommendations collection must exist on every shard/replica
of that original index. It cannot be sharded.

HTH

Upayavira