On Thu, Jun 11, 2015, at 07:20 PM, amid wrote:
> Thanks Charles,
>
> We though of using multi-valued field but got the feeling it will not be
> small as our data will grow.
> Another issue with multi-valued field is that you can't create complex
> join
> query, while using a different collection with document with more than
> one
> field (e.g. recommendation_date) can help us easily delete/limit the
> amount
> of time this recommendation will not be shown again.
>
> Thanks for your answer, seems like replication & load balancing will be
> good
> enough for now :)

Regarding multivalued, I agree with your assessment. Yes, limit the
number of returned recommendations by date, that will help avoid a high
cardinality and thus poor performance.

Effectively what the join does is say, "go find me the ID for all docs
which were recommended to user $USER. Now, in my original index, please
find all docs for this list of IDs". The more IDs there are, the worse
the performance.

Upayavira