This should be no different in 5.2 than 4.6.

My first guess is a typo somewhere or some similar forehead-slapper.
Are you sure you're specifying the field in the "fl" list?

Take a look at the index files, the *.fdt files are where the stored data
goes. You can't look into them, but for the same documents they should
be roughly the same aggregate size as they are in 4.6
'du -hc *.fdt' will sum them all up for you (*nix).

Second thing I'd do for sanity check is tail out the Solr log while
indexing and querying, just to see "stuff" go by and see if any
errors are thrown, although it sounds like you wouldn't see
any search results at all if there was something wrong with
indexing.

And if none of that sheds any light, let's see the schema file?
Maybe the results of adding &debug=all to the query?

Best,
Erick