Something's not right here. Your query does not specify any field,
you have q="JOHN GRAP". Which should parse as
q=default_search_field:"JOHN GRAP".

BUT, you've commented the default field out of the select request handler.
I don't _think_ that there's a default in the code, but I've been surprised
before.

Could you add

&debug=true&echoParams=all

to the query and paste the results?