I find so hard to believe you can search without the inverted index :)

Are you sure you didn't have in your index some documents with that field
indexed, before you did the change and put it as not indexed ?

Changes in the schema don't apply to already indexed documents ( if you
don't go with a re-index) .

Can you run your query in debug mode and show us if any strange query
parsing is happening ( not much likely to happen, but let's check)  ?

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro
Visiting card - http://about.me/alessandro_benedetti