bq:  can I limit the size of the three
caches so that the RAM usage will be under control

That's exactly what the "size" parameter is for.

As Upayavira says, the rough size of each entry in
the filterCache is maxDocs/8 + (sizeof query string).

queryResultCache is much smaller per entry, it's
roughly (sizeof entire query) + ((sizeof Java int) * <queryResultWindowSize>)

<queryResultWindowSize> is from solrconfig.xml. The point
here is this is rarely very bug unless you make the
queryResultCache huge.

As for documentResultCache, it's also usually not
very large, it's the (size you declare it) * (average size of a doc).

Best,
Erick