- Did you have the exact same data in both fields?
No the data is not same.

- Did your "real" query actually compute stats on the same field you had
:   done your main term query on?

The query field is different and I missed to clearly put it. I will
accordingly modify the jira.
So the query can be
q=anyfield:query&stats=true&stats.field={!cardinality=1.0}field
Can you please explain how having the same field for query and stat can
cause some issue for my better understanding of this feature?

I haven't had a chance to review the jira in depth or actaully run your
code with those configs -- but if you get a chance before i do, please
re-review the code & configs you posted and see if you can reproduce using
the *exact* same data in two different fields, and if the choice of query
makes a differnce in the behavior you see.

Will try to reproduce the same as you have mentioned and revert with
details.

Thanks,
Modassar