The authorization plugin is new in Solr 5.3.    It is hard to describe a secure
Solr 5.2.1 environment simply - the basics are to protect /solr by placing it
behind Apache httpd or nginx, and also a port-based firewall.   I am most
familiar with Apache httpd and Linux/RedHat family.

Within the Apache httpd configuration, I have a single virtual host, but
multiple locations defined, each with different security.

So, now we're past simple and on to specific and complicated.   Here's a sample
fictionalized fragment of an Apache httpd.conf, perhaps something you would put
in /etc/httpd/conf.d/solr.conf on CentOS or
/etc/apache/conf.enabled.d/solr.conf on Ubuntu:

# Solr is admin and requires specific users to login with particular AuthType -
basic is pretty basic
<Location /solr>
  AuthName "NLM Login"
  AuthType Basic
  Require user merlin

  ProxyPass http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr retry=0
  ProxyPassReverse http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr
</Location>

# Allow select on on lrprod collection from 10.1.0.0/24 subnet
<Location /proxy/lrprod/select>
  ProxyPass http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr/lrprod/select
  ProxyPassReverse http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr/lrprod/select
  Options -MultiViews
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from 10.1.0.0/24 127.0.0.1
</Location>

# Allow update on lrprod collection from specific IPs in that subnet
<Location /proxy/lrprod/update>
  ProxyPass http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr/lrprod/update
  ProxyPassReverse http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr/lrprod/update
  Options -MultiViews
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from 10.1.0.17 10.1.0.18 127.0.0.1
</Location>

In addition, I open the following ports on my hosts to the other hosts using
Linux iptables for the cluster

# allow other nodes to reach other
ACCEPT     tcp  --  10.1.1.0/24            0.0.0.0/0           state NEW tcp
dpt:8983
# zookeeper is running locally in my setup, so:
ACCEPT     tcp  --  10.1.1.0/24            0.0.0.0/0           state NEW tcp
dpt:2181
ACCEPT     tcp  --  10.1.1.0/24            0.0.0.0/0           state NEW tcp
dpt:2888
ACCEPT     tcp  --  10.1.1.0/24            0.0.0.0/0           state NEW tcp
dpt:3888

I hope this too long post is not didn't read.