Hi Robert,
current Solr compression will work really well , both for Stored and
DocValues contents.
Related the index term dictionaries, I ask for some help to other experts
as I never checked how the actual compression works in there, but I assume
it is quite efficient.

Usually the field type affects performance both  for specific features and
functions, for example if you are interested in range queries on Integers,
you should try the trieInt implementation.

Let us know for more details !

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro