To back up a bit, how many documents are in this 90GB index? You might not need
to shard at all.

Why are you sending a query with a trailing wildcard? Are you matching the
prefix of words, for query completion? If so, look at the suggester, which is
designed to solve exactly that. Or you can use the EdgeNgramFilter to index
prefixes. That will make your index larger, but prefix searches will be very
fast.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org