On 11/4/2015 1:17 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org> wrote:
>> I had understood that since 4.0, Solr (Lucene) can continue to update an
>> index even while that index is optimizing.
> Yes, that should be the case.
>
>> I have discovered in the logs of my SolrJ index maintenance program that
>> this does not appear to actually be true.
> Hmmm, perhaps some other resource is getting exhausted, like number of
> background merges hit the limit?

I hope it's a misconfiguration, not a bug.

Below is my indexConfig.  I have already increased maxMergeCount because
without that, full-import from MySQL will stop processing updates during
a large merge, and the pause is long enough that the JDBC connection
times out and closes.

<indexConfig>
  <mergePolicy class="org.apache.lucene.index.TieredMergePolicy">
    <int name="maxMergeAtOnce">35</int>
    <int name="segmentsPerTier">35</int>
    <int name="maxMergeAtOnceExplicit">105</int>
  </mergePolicy>
  <mergeScheduler class="org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler">
    <int name="maxThreadCount">1</int>
    <int name="maxMergeCount">6</int>
  </mergeScheduler>
  <ramBufferSizeMB>48</ramBufferSizeMB>
  <infoStream file="INFOSTREAM-${solr.core.name}.txt">false</infoStream>
</indexConfig>

The specific index update that fails during the optimize is the SolrJ
deleteByQuery call.

Thanks,
Shawn