I would check for copyField into that target field or something in
UpdateRequestProcessors (in solrconfig.xml) that copies into that
field.

Baring those two, the field should return what you put into it.

Regards,
   Alex.
----
Solr Analyzers, Tokenizers, Filters, URPs and even a newsletter:
http://www.solr-start.com/