Sure, you can use Lucene to create indexes for shards
if (and only if) you deal with the routing issues....

About updates: I'm not talking about atomic updates at all.
The usual model for Solr is if you have a unique key
defined, new versions of documents replace old versions
of documents based on uniqueKey. That process is
not guaranteed by MRIT is all.

Best,
Erick