From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apa...@elyograg.org]
Sent: giovedì 3 dicembre 2015 10:15
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Use multiple istance simultaneously

On 12/3/2015 1:25 AM, Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer wrote:
> In such a scenario could it be feasible to simply configure 2 or 3
> identical instance of Solr and configure the application that transfer
> data to solr to all the instances simultaneously (the approach will be
> a DIH incremental for some core and an external application that push
> data continuously for other cores)? Which could be the drawback of
> using this approach?

When I first set up Solr, I used replication.  Then version 3.1.0 was
released, including a non-backward-compatible upgrade to javabin, and it was
not possible to replicate between 1.x and 3.x.

This incompatibility meant that it would not be possible to do a gradual
upgrade to 3.x, where the slaves are upgraded first and then the master.

To get around the problem, I basically did exactly wh at you've described.
I turned off replication and configured a second copy of my build program to
update what used to be slave servers.

Later, when I moved to a SolrJ program for index maintenance, I made one
copy of the maintenance program capable of updating multiple copies of the
index in parallel.

I have stuck with this architecture through 4.x and moving into 5.x, even
though I could go back to replication or switch to SolrCloud.
Having completely independent indexes allows a great deal of flexibility
with upgrades and testing new configurations, flexibility that isn't
available with SolrCloud or master-slave replication.

Thanks,
Shawn