Yeah, the notion of DTDs have gone around several times but always founder
on the fact that you can, say, define your own Filter with it's own set of
parameters etc. Sure, you can make a generic DTD that accommodates
this, but then it becomes so general as to be little more than a syntax checker.

The managed schema stuff allows modifications of the schema via REST calls
and there is some equivalent functionality for solrconfig.xml, but the
interesting
bit about that is that then your VCS is not the "one true source" of
the configs,
it almost goes backwards: Modify the configs in Zookeeper then check in to Git.
And even that doesn't really solve, say, putting default search fields in
solrconfig.xml that do not exist in the schema file.

Frankly what I usually do when heavily editing either one is just do
it on my local
laptop, either stand alone or SolrCloud, _then_ check it in and/or test it on
my cloud setup. So I guess the take-away is that I don't have any very good
solution here.

Best,
Erick