hi Shawn

Thanks for the quick answer.  As for the q=*,  we also saw similar results
in our testing when doing things like

q=somefield:qval
&fq=otherfield:fqval

Which makes a pure Lucene query.  I simplified things somewhat since our
results were always that as numFound got large, the query time degraded as
soon as we added any &fq in the mix.

We also saw similar results for queries like

q=query stuff
&defType=edismax
&df=afield
&qf=afield bfield cfield

So the query structure was not what created the 3-7 second query time, it
was always a correlation between is &fq in the query, and what is the
numFound.  We've run numerous load tests for bringing in good query with fq
values in the "newSearcher",  caches on, caches off  ... this same
phenomenon persisted.

As for Tomcat, it's an easy enough test to run it in Jetty.  We will sure
try that!  GC we've had default and G1 setups.

Thanks for giving us something to think about

Anria